The Colorado Wine Industry Development Board (CWIDB), part of the Colorado Department of Agriculture, proudly announced the winner of the 2023 Best in Show award at the Colorado Uncorked event. Of the 12 wines selected to comprise the 2023 Governor’s Cup Collection, Alfred Eames Cellars received the Best in Show award for its 2019 Carmena. Alfred Eames Cellars is located at Puesta del Sol Vineyards three miles south of Paonia. Their wines are available at many retail wine shops, tasting rooms and liquor stores throughout Colorado.
Alfred Eames won Colorado’s first wine competition back in 2010 when it was called the First Lady’s Choice. In 2010, two wines shared the Best in Show; Alfred Eames Cellars earned the best red wine for their Sangre del Sol Red Blend, and the best white wine was awarded to Boulder Creek Winery for their Riesling.
Carmena is made from the Carmine grape. This cultivar is a result of crossing Cabernet Sauvignon with Carignane (a grape commonly used for blending in southern France and Spain), then crossing that resulting grape with Merlot. Carmine was developed by Dr. Harold Olmo in 1946 at the University of California – Davis. This wine is the only commercially available Carmine wine in Colorado.
The 12 winning wines become part of the 2023 Governor’s Cup Collection: wines designated to reflect the high quality of the Colorado wine industry. The CWIDB will use this collection in the coming year to represent Colorado at marketing opportunities in the state, across the country, and around the world.
- Alfred Eames Cellars (Paonia) – 2019 Carmena, Colorado DOUBLE GOLD and BEST IN SHOW
- Balistreri Vineyards (Denver) – 2022 Syrah, CSU Vineyard, Grand Valley AVA GOLD
- BookCliff Vineyards (Boulder) – 2022 Syrah, Colorado DOUBLE GOLD
- Dragon Meadery (Aurora) – Red Apple Cyser, DOUBLE GOLD
- Restoration Vineyards (Palisade) – 2022 Sauvignon Blanc, Grand Valley AVA GOLD
- Sauvage Spectrum (Palisade) – 2022 Teroldego, Grand Valley AVA DOUBLE GOLD
- Sauvage Spectrum (Palisade) – 2022 Malbec, Grand Valley AVA DOUBLE GOLD
- Snowy Peaks Winery (Estes Park) – 2019 Élevé (Syrah/Petite Sirah/Mourvedre), Grand Valley AVA DOUBLE GOLD
- Snowy Peaks Winery (Estes Park) – 2022 Muscat Blanc, Grand Valley AVA GOLD
- The Peachfork (Palisade) – Pear Apple, DOUBLE GOLD
- The Storm Cellar (Hotchkiss) – 2022 Albariño, Grand Valley AVA DOUBLE GOLD
- The Storm Cellar (Hotchkiss) – NV Gewürztraminer, Grand Valley AVA GOLD